Sunday, November 28, 2010

Transplant and Time and Illness

   So many people have reached out in an effort to assist my family and I while I am going through this issue. I've also seen the eagerness in some of them. I know you are eager, folks however there are somethings about transplant you need to know. (especially on my case)

  • I have Endocarditis, which is an infection on my heart. I cannot even be listed as available for transplant until they are finished with the Antibiotics and the TEE (camera down my throat to look at my heart test) is clean. The reason is, if this infection is not cleared up it will infect the new organ and because I will be on Immune Suppressants and any infection while on those could kill me.
  • While I have this infection, I have been going through my "work up" which is a bunch of tests checking just about every major system in my body to make sure there isn't any further damage we didn't know about. At this point, I only have one or two tests to have. 
  • Using this time (For potential donors) to get your own workups done is a great and valuable thing. It will make sure that whoever winds up as a donor is ready when I am leaving no gap for something else to occur.
  • For those who wish to be living donors, you have no idea what a wonderful gift you are giving me, however meeting the guidelines is so very important as is making sure you are patient while we ride through the process together.
  • It is also a rule/law that you be over 18 to donate to me. I have seen some people on various bulletin boards saying things about wanting to, but can't tell their parents because they would say no. If you are of an age where you have to listen to your parents legally, then there is no way you can donate yet. I'm sorry , but if you still want to help me feel better, I love getting cards and letters. 
  • I highly suggest potential donors read this website: http://www.livingdonorsonline.org/ It has wonderful current information and answers questions you might have concisely.
  • There is an issue of cost to also keep in mind. Insurance covers the cost of the medical stuff, however there will be time off from work and the bills, they don't stop because your a saint and gave up an organ (not being sarcastic here, I really think anyone who does this is a saint) To help with that, my family and I have set up a guest room in our home for the donor to come back to and recover. Meals etc will be provided. We are currently working on figuring out some fundraiser to assist the donor with expenses.
 I'm glad you took a moment to read this, and I hope to hear from you soon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment