Thursday, November 25, 2010

Medical Update

Good morning. Well, I want to get the contact info issues out of the way. I have many places I can be found:
  • kristen.chesnavich@gmail.com
  • Obviously here
  • http://oldfashionedmommypgh.blogspot.com/
  • YM Kristen.chesnavich
  • Twitter KristenChez
  • Hospital  Montifiore Hospital UPMC : 200 Lothrop Street Pittsburgh, PA 15213 room 1043-1S
Those are the best places to reach me at this time.

Some folks have pointed out that the carepages site needs a log in. I will be keeping that one going but I will also post on my blogger which is the 3rd thing down on the above list.

Now for the update:

Well, it's thanksgiving so a whole lot of stuff won't be happening. They hope to dialyse me again on Saturday to see how things hold up. The Doctor spoke to Infectious diseases and the gave the go ahead for a graft, now we need to see the folks at Vascular Surgery so they can see if I have veins in my right arm to place the graft in. Thing is this will be tricky, they put a PICC line (perm. IV) in my left arm and my right arm has been a pin cushion. I honestly don't know if they will find access.

Tomorrow (hopefully) they will be doing a TEE Essentially they stick a small camera down my throat while I'm sedated to see if the infection on my heart is getting smaller or not. If it is..great, I'll be OK for transplant eventually in the 2nd week of December.

If it hasn't gotten smaller or if it has grown, then we need to talk to the Cardio-THorasic Surgeons about going in with surgery and taking the infection out by hand.

Also, starting tomorrow and thorough the weekend I will be finishing up my work up for transplant.

So we have two possible paths now.
1: The graft works and remains stable and the infection has not grown or has gotten smaller. Femoral catheter comes out and I get to spend a little time at home before the surgery.

2: The graft isn't reliable or the infection requires surgery, then I remain here for the duration.

Even if I am allowed to go home for a while, I will still essentially be on bed-rest so I don't complicate anything.

=====

People have asked how they can help if donating a kidney is not an option. There are many many things you can do that would help us to not be so stressed out about other things and can focus on this.

  • Be at my house with Rob..not even kid watching..just another voice so he isn't so frazzled alone
  • Childcare
  • visiting me or sending cards to help keep my spirits up
There are items we definitely need if you are in a place to help that way as well

  • Diapers size 3
  • Cash assistance (I hate to even SAY this but Rob's been off of work too much to deal with doctors and what not)
  • Assistance with transportation for Rob when nessessary
Well, I hope this covers it all. I will keep updating as much as I can when I feel well enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment