Sunday, November 28, 2010

Todays Med Update

Well, last night was fun! (not!) I had a running 100.4 degree fever (I know not very high, but any fever right now is suspect as a sign of sepsis) and some fairly amazing pain and dizziness and after dialysis tachycardia (Fast heart rate). I should perhaps go in order, I get ahead of myself.

   Early in the afternoon, I was sitting in bed on my computer and I sat up straighter to ease my back a little and the dialysis catheter..slipped..somehow. It's been annoying and quasi-painful before this but this time it hit something serious. Tears sprang to my eyes and I began bawling with pain. This is not something I do, I am pretty stoic in the face of most pain. So the nurse being a sweetheart stayed by me while she called the doc to get an OK for more pain meds. After what would be enough pain meds to knock out a village, I was mostly comfortable again. I went back to my chat room and putzed around (since doing anything productive that doped up was out of the question)

   Eventually they called me for dialysis, being smart  I asked for zofran ( an anti-nausea drug) So that I lowered my chances of puking my guts out in the clinic again.After dealing with the most surly patient care techs and got set up, the catheter sputter and bubbled but, in the end they got in a full treatment. As I was leaving the clinic the nurse let me know that my heart rate was too fast, and we sat for a while but it didn't really come down. I eventually went back to my floor and room, and almost passed out in the few steps from wheelchair to bed. Until then, I wasn't aware that it was possible to be dizzy sitting down. I got settled and tried to go about my night.

   I had had the feeling longer into the evening that maybe I had a temperature. So, I checked it it was 100.2 , so I called my nurse in and she took blood and I called it a night. When I woke the fever was gone. I hope that the fact that I had even a low grade fever in the last 48 hours won't stand in the way of doing the procedure to my veins Monday. I will have to ask the Doc when they come in sometime today.

No comments:

Post a Comment