Saturday, January 15, 2011

Medical Update

  It's been a while since I've posted a medical update, and I apologize for that. Things have been rather crazy, but in a good way lately.

   After I was released from the hospital on December 8th I was the new owner of an AV graft, that is a small tube in my right forearm connected to a vein and an artery. This allows for the dialysis needles to enter both sides and draw blood and cleanse it more efficiently. The surgery was long and the healing painful, but it was finally ready 4 weeks later. In the intervening time I was again hospitalized with another catheter infection, however lucky me! The infections never left the catheter. So, thankfully they just pulled it out and that was that. I had been having some neurological symptoms, however over time they seem to have cleared up. I honestly believe it was because of the ineffectiveness of the catheter that caused them.

   So, the New Year came and went and the access is holding up -beautifully-. It's doing well enough that I have returned to college and am now on the overnight dialysis unit where I go in at 9pm and sleep there while the machine runs until 6am or so then go home.

   I cannot thank the many friends and family members who have worked to assist us in our time of need over this past holiday season, and I know that I can never ever repay that generosity except to keep paying it forward as I try to do always. I know that should anyone ever be in need..if I can help Tell Me. I will.

   I will be posting a more personal update tomorrow about how life is going outside of medical things, as well as pics of the kids ;) Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment