Wednesday, December 1, 2010

A fistfull of updates

   First, I apologize for the lack of updates in the past few days, it has really been that crazy. As you saw on Monday I got introduced to the WONDERFUL Resident, Anna Donnovan who seems to think that because she's almost a doctor she doesn't have to have manners. Anyhow, Monday was just terrible...Doctor disrespecting me and my husband and generally in a lot of pain. The only good thing I think that occurred was she -did- listen to me when I told (and showed) her that my hives were back and she increased my benedryl.

   So, Tuesday I had surgery to see what veins I had in my upper body that are still usable. I didn't think that they would find anything honestly, but it was worth a try. So, I got myself ready..nothing by mouth after midnight (Which in a dry air environment is torture, if you hadn't known)  and waited until they called me, armed with a dose of pain med and a dose of no itch med so I didn't itch and scratch my way off of the operating room table.

   I get there and I find out that I'm to be under sedation not general anesthesia. This is my first warning bell or should have been. I alerted them that I signed consent for general and I preferred it because I know that i am hard to dose with sedation meds. My words fell on deaf ears..except the part of course of having signed the wrong consent..so they brought the right one and had me sign it. Sighing, because I know this isn't going to go well they proceed with sticking me with more IV's since my PICC does extend to the right places. I get medicine that's supposed to put me "to sleep" but able to answer simple commands. At about the 1/2 way point, I wake up..like..really my arms are covered in blood and I scream, freaking out. They then hit me with a dose so hard I fell instantly out again. When I was awake, I was on my way to my room and got to the nurses station and (From this point on I am going on what I am told because I blacked out) I apparently leaped out of the stretcher and ran into my room and proceeded to have a nervous breakdown of some sort.

   It must have gone OK enough because no one has said anything poorly of the situation. I managed to get dialysis pushed off until later that night since i just could not handle back to back stuff like that and rested a bit. When I did go to dialysis they looked at my catheter and said "well, that needs to be replaced". Yours kidding me right?! *sigh* so the cuff that is supposed to form a seal so bacteria can't get in and so that the catheter itself can't just fall out was sitting outside my body. It never got situated into my body.

   SO fast forward to today, I go to IR (Interventional radiology) and they look at it..then take xrays of it and work on it. They get one out and a new one in and I hear from the Doc "Oh shit." They nicked an artery. I tried to remain calm while they fixed that and somehow they either gave me too much meds to keep me calm or something..I blacked out and my stats dropped. I woke to having an oxygen mask on my face. So they got a second catheter,,since the first one they put in me wasn't working right and apparently there is this second type that should work better. It took FOREVER because a tech had to go all over the hospital to find one. There was ONE left. Period. He got it and it was put inside me and that was that. 3 hours later. On a procedure that should have taken 10 mins.

   So, It snow this afternoon, and I'm resting coming down from the day and I am told that indeed tomorrow will be the day that they put in graft and it's all coming together. From that point forward, noone seems to really have a concrete plan!

   I will write more as I know it!

No comments:

Post a Comment